Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced the launch of two new courses – ‘Remote Sensing and Digital Image Analysis’ and ‘SAR Data Processing for Land Deformation Studies’.
Things to know about Remote Sensing and Digital Image Analysis:
· The course will cover the basic principles of remote sensing.
· The course will be conducted online from 22 August to 16 September 2022.
· Interested participants may register either through their respective institutes or also go for individual registration.
· Those who complete the course will also receive certificates.
· This is a free online course.
· Undergraduate and postgraduate students of any year can apply.
· Technical, scientific staff of central, state government, faculty or researchers at university or institutions can also apply for this course.
· The content of the sessions will be available offline after 24 hours in the e-class portal.
· There are a limited number of seats and registration will be done on a first-come-first-serve basis.
· Upon successful completion of the course participants will be awarded a certificate.
· For more details, click here.
What will you learn?
· Basic principles of remote sensing
· Earth observation sensors and platforms
· Spectral signature of different land cover features
· Image interpretation
· Thermal and microwave remote sensing
· Digital image processing: Basic concepts of rectification and registration, enhancement, classification and accuracy assessment techniques.
Things to know about SAR Data Processing for Land Deformation Studies:
· This is an offline course with in-person training that consists of theory lectures and practicals by senior and experienced faculty of the institute using state-of-the-art hardware and software facilities will be conducted.
· The course will be conducted by the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), an establishment of ISRO.
· The course will be conducted for 11 days and interested participants will have to pay a fee of Rs 6,500.
· The course is scheduled to take place between 14 November 2022 to 25 November 2022.
· The course is aimed at researchers, working professionals, project leaders, or academicians working in the field of SAR remote sensing and highly interested in processing time-series SAR data in an open sources software environment for SAR interferometric applications for land deformation studies.
· Boarding and lodging charges to stay in IIRS hostel or guest houses will have to be separately paid by the candidates as per the IIRS hostel rules and regulations.
· Eligible candidates are requested to apply online through the IIRS website here only on or before 23 September 2022 (5:30 pm).
· For more details on the course, you could contact Hari Shankar (Course Coordinator) via e-mail email@example.com.
What will you learn?
· Characteristics of microwave radiations, radar working principle, or radar in remote sensing.
· Interaction of microwaves with atmosphere and targets on the earth’s surface.
· SAR system parameters, nature of SAR images, SAR image geometries and acquisition modes. Overview of SAR polarimetry and backscattering processes.
· Overview of Linux OS, installation of software and their dependencies for SAR data processing.
· SAR time-series data download, or interferometric processing chains in SNAP and ISCE SAR processors.
(Edited by Yoshita Rao)