Close
Igniting Ideas For impact

Embarking on a transformative journey through six chapters, we traverse India's landscape, exploring pioneering startups and their revolutionary...

10 months

Launched in India – a ‘Scientifically Validated’ Anti-Diabetes Herbal Drug

BGR-34, an anti-diabetes herbal drug, has been launched by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), and it will be available for sale in the markets very soon.

Launched in India – a ‘Scientifically Validated’ Anti-Diabetes Herbal Drug

A Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) lab in Lucknow launched a scientifically validated anti-diabetes herbal drug called BGR-34.

The drug is a based on Ayurveda, and is meant to treat type-II diabetes mellitus. It is basically a combination of natural extracts obtained from plants.

diabetes

Photo Credit: Flickr

Two CSIR laboratories have jointly developed BGR-34. The two labs are the National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI) and Central Institute for Medicinal and Aromatic Plant (CIMAP). It was launched on Oct. 25, which is also the 62nd annual day of NBRI.

“The drug has extracts from four plants mentioned in Ayurveda and that makes it safe,” Dr AKS Rawat, senior principal scientist at NBRI told The Times of India.

According to reports, the drug is animal tested and scientific studies show that it is safe with no side effects. Clinical trials of the drug have also shown a 67% success rate. Hence, while other herbal drugs for diabetes are already available in the market, this one is backed by scientific validation. According to a report in Live Mint, the drug was approved by AYUSH, the ministry for traditional Indian medicines. It has been tested on 1,000 patients over a period 18 months across Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and Karnataka.

The functions of BGR-34 include the following:

  • It boosts the immune system
  • Works as antioxidant
  • Helps maintain normal blood glucose levels
  • Reduces chances of complications caused by persistent high blood glucose levels
  • Improves the quality of life for patients with high blood sugar levels

In February last year, Vice-President Hamid Ansari had already launched the drug at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi. But now it has been launched commercially to be manufactured and sold by M/s Aimil Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd, New Delhi.

According to V S Kapoor, marketing head of Aimil Pharmaceuticals for UP and Delhi, the drug will be available in the market soon, in about 15 days. The estimated price is said to be Rs. 500 for 100 tablets. He also added that the drug will be sold in Delhi and Himachal Pradesh to begin with, and they will reach out to doctors through medical representatives to explain its benefits.

About 90% of cases of diabetes are type II diabetes, while the other 10% are primarily diabetes mellitus type 1 and gestational diabetes. The primary cause of type II diabetes is considered to be obesity, and it is also found in people who are genetically predisposed to the disease.

CSIR, which developed the drug, is an autonomous body and India’s largest research and development (R&D) organisation. It includes 37 laboratories and 39 field stations spread across the nation, with a total of over 17,000 people.

Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us: [email protected], or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter (@thebetterindia).

If you found our stories insightful, informative, or even just enjoyable, we invite you to consider making a voluntary payment to support the work we do at The Better India. Your contribution helps us continue producing quality content that educates, inspires, and drives positive change.

Choose one of the payment options below for your contribution-

By paying for the stories you value, you directly contribute to sustaining our efforts focused on making a difference in the world. Together, let’s ensure that impactful stories continue to be told and shared, enriching lives and communities alike.

Thank you for your support. Here are some frequently asked questions you might find helpful to know why you are contributing?

Support the biggest positivity movement section image
Support the biggest positivity movement section image

This story made me

  • feel inspired icon
    97
  • more aware icon
    121
  • better informative icon
    89
  • do something icon
    167

Tell Us More

Shorts

Shorts

See All
X