Many bills have been introduced and passed in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha during the ongoing budget session of the parliament. The session commenced on February 23 and will go on till March 16.
Here are some of the important bills recently introduced in the Lok Sabha:
1. A bill seeking the termination of membership of any MP, or a group of members found disturbing the proceedings of the House.
It was introduced by Jayadev Galla of Telugu Desam Party, stating that members disrupting the House should be disentitled to the daily allowance.
2. K R Solanki of BJP introduced a bill to provide for welfare and rehabilitation of sex workers and their families.
3. He also introduced a bill seeking implementation of compulsory harvesting of rain water in every government, residential, commercial and institutional building.
Like Us To Get Positive Stories On Facebook
Picture for representation only. Source: Wikimedia
4. A bill for providing basic facilities like housing, food, medicine, water and security to widows and orphans was introduced by Nishikant Dubey of BJP.
5. A bill seeking provisions for digital recording of judicial proceedings in the Supreme Court was introduced by Rajeev Satav of Congress.
It was introduced with the view of making proceedings available to the general public, online.
6. Nishikant Dubey introduced another bill called the personal bankruptcy bill meant to ensure that a person can be declared bankrupt in case he is not able to pay off his debts.
7. Boora Narsaiah Goud of Telangana Rashtra Samithi introduced a bill for prohibition of surrogate advertisements, meaning promotion of banned products in disguise of another product.
However, an important bill that was rejected by the Lok Sabha at the introduction stage itself was the one seeking to amend Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code to decriminalise homosexuality. It was introduced by Congress Member Shashi Tharoor.