Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) launched its Intelligent Transport System (ITS) on May 25. It is being called the first such system in India and has been applied to 6414 buses.
One important feature of ITS is a new Android app launched for the commuters to track real time bus movements and solve the problem of unpredictability of buses.
Called BMTC Easy Travel Information Planner, the app has the following main features:
1. Locate buses on route – Helps commuters track any bus
2. Trip planner – Helps new commuters get an idea of the best routes and buses by entering the source and destination locations. The app provides a list with bus numbers and their estimated time of arrival (ETA).
3. Buses to the airport
4. Locate buses near stops
The ETA changes according to the traffic that is tracked using Google Maps. The time can vary by 4-5 minutes depending on the traffic. Commuters can also save their favourite or most used routes on the app and navigate them with ease.
#MGChangemakers - Episode 2: THE 21-YEAR JOURNEY OF CHANGE | Driving India Into Future
Live Now #MGChangemakers Episode 2 : Touched by poverty, untouchability and atrocities against Musahar- the Mahadalit community of Bihar, Padma Shri Sudha Varghese decided to dedicate her life for their upliftment. Watch the video to learn about her inspirational journey & how she is ‘Driving India Into The Future’. #MGChangemakers powered by MG Motor India and supported by United Nations India. Show your support by donating now: http://bit.ly/Milap-MGChangemakersPosted by TheBetterIndia on Wednesday, July 18, 2018
In addition to the app, the ITS includes the following aspects:
1. All the buses have been provided with electronic ticketing machines (ETM), smart cards, and GPS tracking system. ETMs are used for issuing electronic tickets and also for tracking the distance covered by a bus, number of passengers using the service, busy routes, etc.
2. The system tracks information like which buses have skipped stops, taken deviations, are delayed, have over sped, etc. This information is available in the ITC control room at BMTC Head office in Shanthi Nagar and in all 40 BMTC depots across Bengaluru.
3. The Vehicle Tracking System (VTM )monitors the movement of buses and transmits the information to the ITS control room
“Bengaluru is growing rapidly and has a floating population of 10 lakh people per day. Transport services in the city need to be citizen-friendly and this is one of those projects. In addition, smart cards will also be introduced in July,” Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said during the launch.
Download the app here.