Senior citizens are the most vulnerable to #COVID19. The volunteers handling these helplines will ensure that they don't have to leave the safety of their homes during #CoronavirusLockdown.
Across the world, senior citizens have been identified as the most vulnerable groups when it comes to the Coronavirus.
With a nationwide lockdown being implemented since March 25, it is inevitable that the senior citizens in India, who live alone, may face more challenges than the younger generation. To ensure their safety, free helplines have been opened in various cities, so that they can get help at their fingertips.
Here are some of them:
1. Pan India COVID-19 helplines
Caremongers: Call 9591168886 for home delivery of food, medicines, groceries, and other essentials.
DocsApp: Call on 080 4719 3443 for medical assistance and guidance
2. Ahmedabad- You can call NGO volunteers during the COVID-19 lockdown
Ankit Malhotra, who works with the Swara Smile Foundation, can deliver food at your doorstep. You can get in touch with him on 9265255908 or 8306596333.
Seniors living alone can call the Municipal corporation helpline number: 9825192000
3. Chennai: Multiple COVID-19 helplines for area-specific needs
Bhoomika Trust- Pan Chennai COVID-19 Helpline- 044-46314726
These are the numbers of volunteers helping senior citizens in specific areas. Call them for groceries, medicine or cooked food.
- Advaith Shivram, Valasaravakkam – 7358516184
- J S Sekar, Saligramam /Ashoknagar – 98400 47101
- Veeramani Raju, Valasaravakkam – 9841068548
- Sriram, Kodambakkam – 9840079929
- Nancy, Kolathur – 89254 04028
- Vinoth, Chrompet – 9551305656
- Thomas, Thiruvanmiyur – 9884555533
- Moses Robinson, Pallavaram – 9600143138
You can also get in touch with Arnav Rathore, a student of the MCTM International School, who delivers foods and essentials to the elderly. He is currently active in the Mylapore and RA Puram areas.
Here are his contact details: WhatsApp: 9818316654 Phone: 9444352542 Email: email@example.com.
4. Hyderabad- Call for groceries during the COVID-19 lockdowns
Delivery App ‘One Big Family’ has launched a free helpline to offer free delivery services to senior citizens. For all your grocery, medicine, and vegetable needs, call 18005725200. Or you can download their app on your Android or Apple phones.
5. Kolkata: Police set up a helpline during COVID-19 lockdowns
Anuj Sharma, the Commissioner of Kolkata Police, tweeted, “Many fellow Kolkatans who live abroad hv elderly relatives in Kolkata. Please contact us in need & we will do all we can to ensure your family stays healthy & safe. We will fight this battle together. Sr.Ctzn Helpline No. 9830088884”
6. Mumbai: Avail free delivery of essentials
Call or drop a WhatsApp message to the following numbers for free home delivery of essentials. Message your name, address, and requirement, so it’s easy for the volunteers.
- Andheri East: Amith Dhanraj Bardia: 9320089690
- Andheri West: Rajesh Jain: 9820236181
- Bandra (West): Vishal Mirpuri: 98213 21622
- Dadar/Mahim: Ankit Parekh: 9820050288
- Khar West- Vickaash Agarwal: 9980730991
- Parel: Manan Soni: 9594088610
- Santa Cruz/Vile Parle: Kumar: 9820133503
- Sion/Wadala/Bhakti Park: Ajay Kinger: 8652710275
- Thane: Priyank Agarwal: 9321324242
- Vashi: Vaibhav Sachdev: 9933676707, Kamlesh Jain: 9820101606
- Worli: Piyush Khemka: 8454067700, Sunit Aggarwal: 9322277552
The Goregaon Welfare Association (GORWA) is going all out in helping senior citizens primarily in Goregaon but also other parts of Mumbai if need be. Here’s a list of their helpline numbers:
- Vishweshwar Nagar—Thomas Lobo: 9820025853 & Neha Jadhav: 8879184750
- Jayprakash Nagar – Meher (Vidula) Shaikh: 8369972485, Santosh Mahajan: 9324324000
- Pandurangwadi—Rasika Joshi: 9892698435, Arun Seth: 9969056367, Sugam Kulkarni: 99204 02948
- Shreyas Colony—Rajan Save: 8779408381, Shashank Chavan: 9870927419
- Gogtewadi & Naikwadi—Subhash Dev: 98192 01555, Jayant Vidwans: 9892202011
- MG Road, Goregaon West—Kavita Kamble: 98337 61568, Meghali Dixit: 98673 17577
- Bangur Nagar — Shobha Arya: 9820865308, Praful Dedhiya: 98207 65735
- Rustomjee, Motilal Nagar— Sameer Mungekar: 9833705484
- Shastri Nagar –Dilip Dedhiya: 9870038171
- Amritvan and Yashodham—Manali Dixit: 9820542175
- Gokuldham — Nikita Agarwal: 9820074421
- Oberoi & Saibab Complex – Sonia Sahu: 9833180740
- Nagari Nivara – Sachin Sawant: 8169406580
- Aarey Colony—Amrita Bhattacharjee: 9820652535
The Better India’s “BETTER TOGETHER” initiative has brought together civil service officers from across the country as they help migrant labourers, daily wage earners, frontline workers, and all those who need our help most in these troubled times. You can join us and support them in this fight against COVID-19.
Unable to view the above button? Click here
7. Pune: Call these helplines for essentials or tiffin delivery
Friends @ senior citizens operate in Pune and PCMC area. Currently, they have about 300 volunteers, of which 75 are active at any given time. They provide essential items like groceries, medicines as well as the transport to hospitals for check-ups and tiffin services. You can get in touch with them on 9422517939 (Sonali Rasal) or 9822981267 (Gauri Phalke).
You can also call Action for Pune Development on 9657610008 or the NineBee foundation on 8007776088 for the delivery of essential goods.
8. Hyderabad: Care Packages for the Elderly
Venkat Murali, a good samaritan from Hyderabad is distributing care packages with rice, curry, dal, sambar, chutney and curd to the needy and elderly. He does this without charging any money. You can get in touch with him on 98660 06269.
9. Delhi/NCR: Emoha Elder Care for the safety of senior citizens
With the aim of keeping the high-risk demographic of senior citizens safe inside their home, Emoha elder care has started a 24*7 helpline. Call them on 1800-123-44-5555 for voluntary services.
10. Bengaluru: Call volunteers closest to your area for assistance
Senior citizens in need of assistance can call on the following numbers:
- Srikanta, Jayanagar: 99801 35767
- Girish, Hanumanthnagar: 9448130204
- Rahman, RT Nagar: 9916596777
- Dev, Whitefield: 9739021340
- Phanikar, Sanjaynagar: 9916731397
They can also call the Bengaluru South Coronavirus Task Force on 99464 99464
11. Goa: Government helpline for free delivery of groceries
A government helpline, functional between 9 AM to 6 PM, will provide free delivery of groceries to senior citizens, differently abled and the needy. Call on 08047191000 to avail this service.
Also Read: Opinion: Our Doctors Are Saving Lives During COVID-19. Don’t Harass Them!
(Edited by Gayatri Mishra)