Placeholder canvas
Igniting Ideas For impact

Embarking on a transformative journey through six chapters, we traverse India's landscape, exploring pioneering startups and their revolutionary...

4 months

Never Say Die: Despite Suffering Nine Bullet Injuries Last Year, CRPF Officer Resumes Duty

Never Say Die: Despite Suffering Nine Bullet Injuries Last Year, CRPF Officer Resumes Duty

Grievously injured in a militant attack, Chetan Cheetah didn’t let a month-long coma stop him from making a stunning comeback!

In a remarkable turnaround, Chetan Kumar Cheetah, a commandant of the Central Reserve Police Force, who miraculously survived nine bullet injuries after an encounter with militants in Jammu and Kashmir, has returned to the fold, reported the Times of India.

On Independence Day 2017, the President of India awarded Cheetah the Kirti Chakra, the second highest peacetime gallantry award. He is currently at the CRPF’s directorate at the national capital and awaiting a decision on his posting.

Speaking to the publication, officials at CRPF have said that Cheetah will not resume combat duties as he is still recovering. Until then, he will be confined to office work. “There are small issues (related to his health) which will take some time. But he is delighted to join back and is especially eager to go back to combat duties,” said Uma Singh, his wife.

Chetan Kumar Cheetah. On the left, after his release from AIIMS. (Source: Facebook)
Chetan Kumar Cheetah. On the left, after his release from AIIMS. (Source: Facebook)

Last February a militant attack in Bandipora district, Jammu and Kashmir, had left Chetan, who was then serving as Commanding Officer (CO) of CRPF’s 45th battalion, battling for his life.

Suffering fractured limbs and bullet injuries to the head, he was first taken to a military hospital for immediate assistance before being airlifted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences trauma centre, where doctors performed life-saving surgery.

Read also: CRPF Commandant Who Sustained 9 Bullet Wounds Is Ready to Be Discharged by AIIMS

Within 24 hours of his arrival at the hospital, doctors performed a surgery to reduce the intra-cranial pressure where a portion of his skull was removed. Cheetah was in a state of coma for one and a half months before regaining consciousness. After he was discharged from AIIMS, Cheetah was desperate to rejoin the CRPF, seeking a posting with the CoBRA battalion, which fights Maoists in Chhattisgarh.

Read also: A CRPF Jawan and A Starving Disabled Man. Here’s Why This Story Is Going Viral!

However, senior CRPF officials have said that Cheetah will require another two years before he can resume combat duties. Nonetheless, his determination to serve the nation serves as an inspiration to fellow CRPF personnel and youngsters looking to join the force.

Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us:, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!

We bring stories straight from the heart of India, to inspire millions and create a wave of impact. Our positive movement is growing bigger everyday, and we would love for you to join it.

Please contribute whatever you can, every little penny helps our team in bringing you more stories that support dreams and spread hope.

Support the biggest positivity movement section image Support the biggest positivity movement section image

This story made me

  • feel inspired icon
  • more aware icon
  • better informative icon
  • do something icon

Tell Us More

Read more on:
Sign in to get free benefits
  • Get positive stories daily on email
  • Join our community of positive ambassadors
  • Become a part of the positive movement