You can now have an official stake in who gets nominated for the Padma awards.
Being one of India’s highest civilian honours that are conferred in recognition of extraordinary achievements in varied fields where an element of public service is involved, the new development was announced by none other than Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a NITI Aayog programme on Thursday.
“Padma awards in past were given on ministers’ recommendation. We removed this barrier and made it open to anyone for nomination”, he said, reports The Indian Express.
The nomination process is quite simple. You will have to first register yourself on the Padma portal after which you can file your nomination.
Following are the guidelines that will direct you through the procedure:
1. Starting from the home page, you will find an option that says “Nomination for 2018”. After clicking the button, you will be directed to a page that will ask for your login details.
2. Since you’re up for registration, there will be another option that says, “Don’t have an account? Click here to register”.
3. There are two ways in which you can register yourself—as an individual or as an organization. This will appear as a column where you can enter your mode of registration.
4. For individual registration, you will need to fill up details as per your registered Aadhaar card. After which you will receive a One-Time-Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number. Once you enter the OTP, you will be directed to a registration form.
5. After filling the form, you will be asked to provide a login ID and password. This completes your registration process.
6. For those without an Aadhaar, the process can be completed using any one of the valid ID proofs that you have. This can be done by uploading a scanned copy of the same while filling up the details.
7. To initiate the nomination process, you will have to first login with your registered ID and enter with the captcha code.
8. Click on the ‘New Nomination’ button that will appear once you login after which you will be asked to enter details about your nomination. This will include entering personal information, and uploading a photograph. You would require saving this as a draft.
9. Once the nomination process is up for final submission, you can no longer edit the details. A confirmation message will be sent to your registered email and mobile number.
10. A provision for sharing your nomination details on social media has also been enabled.