India's Sherpa at the G20, Shaktikanta is a seasoned bureaucrat who was the the Economic Affairs secretary till May 2017.
63-year-old Shaktikanta Das, India’s former Economic Affairs Secretary, has been appointed as the 25th governor of the Reserve Bank of India. His appointment comes just after Urijit Patel stepped down as the Governor on December 10.
Here are 5 things to know about Shaktikanta Das:
1. A 1980 batch IAS officer from the Tamil Nadu cadre, Shaktikanta retired as the Economic Affairs Secretary in 2017. He has been appointed for a period of three years. During his state tenure, he has been – Industries Principal Secretary, Special Commissioner for Revenue and as the district collector of Dindigul and Kancheepuram districts.
2. Known to be an experienced bureaucrat, Shaktikanta has held key positions under both the Bhartiya Janta Party and Indian National Congress-led governments. Among others, he has served as Revenue Secretary and Fertilizers Secretary of India.
3. Shaktikanta has also been a member of the Fifteenth Finance Commission and played a key role in building consensus between the Centre and the States with reference to revenue sharing and other key items. He also played in key role in developing the Goods and Services Tax regime.
4. As India’s guide, or Sherpa, in the G20, Shaktikanta was deeply involved in building strategic relations with global powers while balancing India’s equations with various countries. His work there principally involved setting the groundwork required for summits and meetings between India and other nations.
5. Initially brought into the Finance Ministry to head up the Revenue department, he was later moved to the Economic Affairs division, where he helped to spearhead the demonetization drive in 2016.
(Edited By Vinayak Hegde)