1. Visakhapatnam to Araku ValleyAraku, located around 100 km from Vizag, makes for an ideal weekend trip. As you near your destination, you will be greeted by the decadent aroma of coffee from the numerous plantations.
2. Shillong to Sohra (Cherrapunjee)On the way, you will get a glimpse of the many waterfalls that Sohra (Cherrapunjee) boasts of and of Ward’s lake, a horseshoe-shaped artificial pool.
3. Bengaluru to Udhagamandalam (Ooty)With its 36 hairpin bends, this trip can certainly be a rollercoaster. But what’s fascinating is that you will get views of both the western and eastern ghats, as well as the Nilgiris.
4. Chandigarh to KasolA favourite for many North Indians around Delhi and Chandigarh is to drive to Kasol and rest at a stream near the rope bridge in Chalal village, which is a quiet and peaceful spot.
5. Delhi to ParwanooParwanoo is home to Himachal’s biggest wholesale market. It’s also a great place to enjoy scenic views of hills and vales that seem almost out of a postcard.
6. Delhi to Morni HillsA birdwatcher’s delight, Morni Hills attract several bird species — like wallcreepers, crested kingfishers, bar-tailed treecreepers, blue peafowls, kalij pheasants, red junglefowls, and grey francolin.
7. Mumbai-Pune ExpresswayThe expressway not only cuts the drive from Kalamboli to Kiwale in Pune short, but the road is also picturesque and has multiple dhabas (roadside food outlets) and tapris (tea shacks).
8. Old Silk RouteThe route is known to have fostered trade between Lhasa in Tibet and India. In fact, Nathang Valley, one of the spots you’ll pass by on your drive, is a hub of stunning waterfalls.