Category Manager - E-commerce
Experience required: 2-5 yrs
To apply, please submit CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Better India (www.thebetterindia.com) is India’s largest constructive journalism platform. Our stories create large scale impact by turning inspiration into action. In order to increase our impact, we are now launching ‘responsible commerce’ by selling products with a social or environmental impact (shop.thebetterindia.com). For this, we are hiring a Category Manager at our Bangalore office who will do a great job of curating unique products that we can sell on TBI, based on our criteria, contact the merchant, negotiate the selling price and margin, get the story, make a case and pass on the final shortlist to the content and marketing team telling articulating exactly why people would buy. This is a role that is both creative and number-driven, and requires a multi-skilled and nimble person.
Please read further if you are one such person.
As a Category Manager at the The Better India, Bangalore, you will
1. Understand the criteria for selling products on TBI and be able to find the relevant products from everywhere in the online and offline world
2. Go to relevant events, flea markets, etc. to make contacts and onboard merchants
3. Work closely with the content and marketing teams to provide merchandising strategy information and recommendations and make sure the product story comes out well
4. Work with the product/marketing teams to manage online pricing strategies such as markdowns and promotions
5. Stay in touch with the merchants for feedback, new products, etc.
6. Analyze category performance to evaluate merchandising efforts, product sell through, and product opportunities
7. Monitor performance of search and navigation, adding keyword redirects and rearranging dimension order when appropriate
8. Possess strong understanding of the relationships between page views, conversion and other relevant web based KPIs and action information accordingly
9. Be responsible for the promotion and sell through of excessive Inventory
10. Report key findings of performance of units per category
11. Leverage splash pages, category banners and social media channels to educate visitors on the features and benefits of products on site
12. Analyze category needs, identify areas of opportunity and provide constructive feedback to the Content and Marketing Services Teams
13. Effectively manage SEO within product detail pages and category detail pages
14. Interpret design inspiration and offline visual merchandising stories for the web to maintain consistent product messaging across channels
15. Ensure flawless data integrity in the maintenance of the merchandise catalogue
Our ideal colleague will be
1. A Category Manager with 2 to 5 years’ experience in a marketplace model e-commerce setup
2. A pro at MS office tools whose thoughts come out as excel rows and columns
3. An Expert in finding unique and meaningful items for sale with a natural knack of connecting with artisans, NGOs, etc.
4. A great negotiator, quick learner, thinker and doer
5. Internet and social media savvy, aware of the latest trends especially of what people are buying online
6. Extremely proactive and ready to take initiative and run with new ideas
7. An exceptional communicator with superlative written and oral communications skills, creativity,
and attention to detail