Every company promises to change the world. Join one that actually does it.
How do we do it?
The first step to changing the world is changing hearts and minds. The stories of people who are leading by example are moving millions to action. The Better India (www.thebetterindia.com) was started to give a voice to millions of change-makers and innovators of the country, using the power of storytelling to inspire change. With over 90 million combined readership and participants, it is Asia’s largest solution-focused platform.
Besides being an impact-based platform, we are also focused on how we do it. Technology plays an integral role in helping us achieve our aim. The Better India is on a mission to reach out to millions of positive change makers through our apps and products. We also have gained credible traction in building sustainable FMCG brand The Better Homes and now working on building an innovative Education Technology Platform – The Better India Academy.
This is a leadership role and will be a part of the management team. You will play a strategic, financial, and operational thought leadership driven role along with the leadership team.
You will have a critical role in leading finance, accounting, and planning. Apart from this, you will also be involved in onboarding functional best practices.
You will be involved in making strategic decisions for various business interests of the organisation and help us grow leaps and bounds across various business verticals. Apart from this, you will also be pushing the core DNA of the organisation, thereby improving efficiency and growth across business teams.
You will help drive forecasting, planning initiatives, and running with them to improve our business. In this role you will also mentor and develop team members, helping create a world-class team that goes deeper than about anyone else to drive big results.
You should be hands-on with the core fundamentals of finance, accounts, financial planning, annual planning, budget planning and demand forecasting. While you are objective and analytical, you also possess strong empathy and team working skills.
The role is based out of Bangalore and will be remote working for now.
- Be the strategic business partner to business leaders, investors, and other stakeholders
- Ensure effective monetary management of the business: responsible for performing and leading all financial tasks and oversight necessary to achieve the organization’s mission and help execute growth plans
- Participate as a member of the Leadership team to ensure sound, data-driven decisions are made
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities including profit and loss reports, and monitoring of cash flow budgets
- Manage and oversee Financial Planning & Analysis, Strategic Pricing/Planning, Accounting, Financial Operations, and Financial Applications
- Participate in developing new products, services, and markets by assisting in identifying new opportunities and managing all aspects of financial assessment including ROI, IRR, and cash flow analysis
- Help determine and drive prioritisation of major initiatives and driving them from start to finish
- Business partnering – work closely with company leaders to develop financial forecasts and operational goals, apply business judgment and financial insights to assist with decision-making
- P&L planning – you will be primary point of contact for forecasting, goal setting and modelling
- Help us scale efficiently – we will always move fast and diligently, but evolving our planning processes and ensuring finance best practices spread through the organization
- Help drive requirements and implementation for financial planning, accounting, and digitization of financial processes
- Drive finance agenda, participate in board meetings and help raise funds as and when needed through Debt, Angel and PE Funds.
Education/ Work experience requirements:
- CA with good academic and professional track record of 10+ years
- Significant functional competence, and credible leadership experience, playing both operational and strategic roles in the finance arena. Investment banking or private equity experience a plus
- Strong background and experience in A/R, A/P, Accounting, FP&A, Tax and Procurement
- People management experience – hiring, mentoring, building, and managing a team
- Ability to manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously with a sense of urgency
- Think strategically and then execute – the models we build aid in decision making and strategy
- Top-notch communication and people skills – numbers are key, but a business is built with people. Relationship building and adept communication are assets in our fast-moving environment
- Team player – this is a highly collaborative and supportive team environment
- Self-starter – we don’t have time or desire to micro-manage. You will take initiative, be proactive, set and drive toward goals
- Systems – working knowledge of enterprise-level financial planning systems
Some additional rewards (beyond your Salary, ESOPs & Benefits):
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product/services you built. We are not just another Media, FMCG and EdTech company. We are innovating, scaling, and connecting communities with a realm of positive news, skills and opportunities
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a hybrid work environment