The Chenani-Nashri tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir cost ₹3,720 crore to build and is located at a height of 1,200 metres.
Travelling by road along the Himalayas especially during the harsh winters can be hard. It used to be the case for National Highway 44, the only road linking Kashmir with the rest of the country, that either gets shut down due to heavy snowfall or bogged down by extremely slow-moving traffic.
That’s all going to change now that the country’s longest highway tunnel will be inaugurated by Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on April 2, 2017. The Chenani- Nashri tunnel, which has been described as an “engineering marvel”, is set to significantly improve the commuting experience in the region.
Watch: 23-YO Engineering Student Turns Sewage Pipes Into Low-Cost Homes For Needy
Perala Manasa Reddy from Telangana has created Indian versions of Hong Kong's OPods, which are low-cost homes made from old sewage pipes that have bathrooms, a kitchen, and bedrooms attached to solve housing problems among the poor.Read more >
Here are 10 facts about the tunnel that is sure to leave you dazzled:
Photo source: Twitter
1) The Chenani-Nashri tunnel is 9.28km long and it is bi-directional. It consists of a 9.3 metre carriageway as well as a 5 metre vertical clearance. The longest highway tunnel in the world, which is found in Norway, is 24.51km.
2) It cost ₹3,720 crore to build and is located at a height of 1,200 metres.
3) It will reportedly lead to the saving of ₹27 lakh every day due to reduced fuel consumption.
4) Built connecting Jammu and Kashmir, the tunnel will cut down the commuting time between the two regions by at least two and a half hours.
5) The tunnel boasts a total of 29 cross passages, which are present every 300 metres.
6) The speed limit at the tunnel will be restricted to 50kmph and vehicles will only be allowed to use low beams.
Atal Tunnel at Rohtang: Meet The Kerala Engineer Behind the Engineering Marvel
Measuring 9.02 km long, the “world’s longest highway tunnel” connects Manali to the Lahaul-Spiti Valley throughout the year. The Valley was earlier cut off for six months each year because of heavy snowfall.Read more >
7) The tunnel boasts a high-tech integrated tunnel control system. The system has video surveillance, ventilation, and FM signal repeater. It can also control communication.
8) The original distance by road between Chenani and Nashri was earlier 41km, it is now 10.9km
9) It is said to protect commuters from avalanches and landslides.
10) It has an SOS box and also comes fully equipped to deal with emergencies like fire.
Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us: email@example.com, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!
SC Empowers Home Buyers As 'Financial Creditors': Here's Why This Matters to You
In 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind gave his stamp of approval to an ordinance amending the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), putting home buyers on par with banks as financial creditors.Read more >