Senior IPS officer Alok Kumar Verma was appointed the new chief of Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) on Thursday.
Senior IPS officer Alok Kumar Verma was appointed the new chief of Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) on Thursday. He will be the 27th CBI chief and is taking over from Anil Sinha who retired on December 2.
Here’s everything you need to know about him:
‘My Body Is My Business’: Nimrat Kaur’s Hard-Hitting Message on Weight-Shaming
Trolled for gaining 15 kgs for the role of Bimla Devi in Dasvi, Nimrat Kaur shared her experience and learnings in a powerful message that is going viral on Instagram.Read more >
Photo source: Wikimedia
1) Verma’s name for the post was shortlisted from a list of 45 candidates and his selection was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. The committee included Prime Minister Narendra Modi; Mallikarjun Kharge, Congress leader in Lok Sabha; and JS Khehar, the Chief Justice of India. Apart from Verma, two other top contenders included home ministry official RK Dutta and Maharashtra DGP SC Mathu.
2) Prior to this appointment, Verma was the Delhi Police Commissioner.
3) He was in news in December 2016, when he recommended the promotions of 26,000 police officers. According to reports, most of these officers had not been promoted in over 20 years. His recommendation was accepted by the Union Government after he insisted.
4) He has been in service for 36 years and CBI Chief is his 24th posting. He was set to retire recently but this appointment means that he will serve for the next two years. Prior to this, he has had no experience of working within CBI.
5) He handled vigilance work as a special commissioner for the Delhi police force from 2011 to 2012.
6) A 1979 batch Indian Police Service officer, he has also served as the Director General for Tihar prisons and has been the police chief of Mizoram too.
Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!
Ecom Platforms Fined Rs 1 Lakh for Selling Pressure Cookers. Here's Why
Buying pressure cookers online? Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) has imposed fine of Rs 1 lakh each on Paytm Mall and Snapdeal for selling non-standard pressure cookers.Read more >