Indian Railway Ministry never tires of introducing new and cool features to the lifeline of India.
In a highly anticipated move, the Indian Railways’ new AC-III tier compartment will come loaded with features like CCTV cameras in the aisles, a GPS-based passenger information system and tea and coffee vending machines in the coaches.
— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) November 3, 2016
The Indian Express has reported that these new coaches will be deployed on the all-AC-III tier Humsafar service mid-November. Humsafar is tentatively scheduled to run between Delhi and Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh. The new coaches designed by the Rail Coach Factory in Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh will be part of four trains as of now.
Apart from these, the coaches will also boast of the following super cool features:
- A GPS-based passenger information system above each door
- A fire-and-smoke detector
- Automatic room-freshener dispensers
- Replacing the current steel number plates with a light bar similar to the one used by airlines with numbers indicating upper, lower and middle berths
- New gel-coated toilet walls to save the toilets from unwanted graffiti
- Curtains for side berths and in the aisles
- New interior and exterior colour schemes
- Disabled-friendly coaches with integrated Braille displays
“Earlier, the thinking was that extra or new features could be added only in higher classes. But this is reimagining an existing class, without giving it a luxury tag,” a senior rail ministry official told The Indian Express.
Find more such updates by Indian Railways here.
Featured image credit: Anas Khan, via Wikimedia Commons, The Indian Express
Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us: email@example.com, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!
We at The Better India want to showcase everything that is working in this country. By using the power of constructive journalism, we want to change India – one story at a time. If you read us, like us and want this positive movement to grow, then do consider supporting us via the following buttons.
Please read these FAQs before contributing.