Bharat Ratna Awardee Sir M Visvesvaraya, also known as ‘The Maker of Modern Mysore,’ was one of the greatest engineers of his time that India had to offer. His birthday, 15th September, is celebrated as ‘Engineer’s Day’ across the country.
Watch the video here:[embedvideo id=”x6ENF05rh4M” website=”youtube”]
The engineering feats of Sir M Visvesvaraya
Sir M Visvesvaraya was a Diwan & chief engineer during the 1900s in Mysore. His major feats include-
- Krishnaraja Sagar dam in Mysore which supplied power to the gold mines at Kolar, irrigation in Mandya district and drinking water in several cities.
- A flood protection system in Hyderabad & a sewage farm to protect rivers
- A block system to prevent wasteful flow of water in dams
- Preventing erosion of the Visakhapatnam port
Patronized by Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, he was responsible for the setting up of –
#MGChangemakers - Episode 2: THE 21-YEAR JOURNEY OF CHANGE | Driving India Into Future
Live Now #MGChangemakers Episode 2 : Touched by poverty, untouchability and atrocities against Musahar- the Mahadalit community of Bihar, Padma Shri Sudha Varghese decided to dedicate her life for their upliftment. Watch the video to learn about her inspirational journey & how she is ‘Driving India Into The Future’. #MGChangemakers powered by MG Motor India and supported by United Nations India. Show your support by donating now: http://bit.ly/Milap-MGChangemakersPosted by TheBetterIndia on Wednesday, July 18, 2018
- Mysore soap factory
- The parasitoid laboratory
- Mysore sandal oil factory
- Mysore iron & steel works (now known as Visvesvarayairon and steel limited)
- Sri Jayachamarajendra polytechnic institute
- Bangalore Agricultural University
- State Bank of Mysore
- The Century Club
- Mysore Chambers of Commerce
- Government Engineering College, now called university Visvesvaraya college of engineering
His birthday, 15th September, is celebrated as ‘Engineer’s day’ across the country.