The UP state government has appointed IPS officer Manzil Saini as the first woman Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) in the capital city of Lucknow. Before this posting, Saini was the district police chief of Etawah. She replaces outgoing police chief Rajesh Pandey.
Here are 6 things you should know about this dynamic police officer:
Pic Source: Youtube and tkbsen.in
1. Manzil Saini is an IPS officer from the 2005 batch.
During her training at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police IPS Academy in Hyderabad, Saini proved to be an excellent athlete.Prior to joining the police force she studied physics at St. Stephen’s College in Delhi and was also a student at the Delhi School of Economics where she was a gold medallist.
2. She is India’s first married woman IPS officer and has two children.
Her husband, Jaspal Dehal, runs an export business in Noida.
3. In 2008, soon after her posting as SP Moradabad, she busted a multi-million inter-state kidney racket.
A US based NRI businessman was detained in connection with this racket, which was later turned over for investigation to the CBI.
4. In 2013, she was posted to Muzaffarnagar after riots broke out in that city, but was removed from the job within 10 days.
It is widely believed that this contributed to the police there being unable to contain the communal violence in time.
5. During her posting in Etawah, Saini was in the news for coming down hard on the unauthorized use of party flags in four wheelers by Samajwadi Party workers.
She also penalized them for using tinted windows in their vehicles.
6. This honest police officer is also known for her commitment to discipline.
On catching ten police constables from the quick response team napping inside a police van in Etawah once, she punished them by making them jog around a playground.
Although there was some confusion recently whether Manzil Saini’s posting had been put on hold by the state government, the CM’s office has now confirmed that she will take up her position as previously decided.