Readers only offer: Get additional Rs 200 off on 'The Better Home' powerful natural cleaners. Shop Now
X
This Bill Will Make India Green Again by Using Unspent Rs. 41,000 Crore Fund for Afforestation

This Bill Will Make India Green Again by Using Unspent Rs. 41,000 Crore Fund for Afforestation

In what is being lauded as a big win for the environment, the Lok Sabha on the 3rd of May passed the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill of 2015.

Members of Parliament across party lines came out in support of the Bill, which is all set to play a great role in implementing the countrywide afforestation programme. The much-in-the-news Bill will also facilitate the setting up of a National Compensatory Afforestation Fund as well as a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund.

Calling it a “historic legislation,” Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar said that the Bill will see to the utilisation of the Rs. 41,000 crore fund that had been earmarked for forest land, but has so far been left unused.

Untitled design (2)

Image for representation only. Source: Wikipedia

Outlining the salient features of the programme, Javadekar stressed the importance of people’s participation in the success of the programme. “Wherever people’s participation is there, and where people’s livelihood is connected to the forest, they just don’t allow illegal destruction of forest,” he said.

The programme will also ensure that no displacement takes place. “Besides the exotic plants, emphasis will be on native species,” Javadekar added.

Social audits will also be a crucial part of the programme to ensure transparency and accountability.

The Hindu also reports that the Bill will ensure that the funds encourage compensatory afforestation of which the national fund will receive 10 percent with the states receiving the remaining 90 percent.

These funds will then be put to use with afforestation programmes that will not only compensate the loss of forest cover, but will also lead to regeneration of the forest ecosystem, wildlife protection and infrastructure development.

With the numerous benefits it offers to the environment, it is no wonder that the Bill was passed unanimously by the Lok Sabha.

Featured Image for representation only. Source: Wikipedia

Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us: contact@thebetterindia.com, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter (@thebetterindia).

Let’s be friends :)
Sign in to get free benefits
  • Get positive news daily on email
  • Join our community of positive ambassadors
  • Become a part of the positive movement
X
Before you go...

We have a favor to ask.

Our teams put in a lot of effort to create the content you love at The Better India.

The Better Home is a range of safe and eco-friendly home cleaners by The Better India. We put out curated content on our Instagram account- green living hacks, green innovations, leading a no-tox life and heroes in the sustainability space.

It would help us if you can follow our Instagram handle and spread the word around.