Sayani Gupta is slated to play an important role in the upcoming film, ‘Fan,’ which stars Shahrukh Khan. The actor recently said that she felt quite lucky to have been cast in the film and shared that YashRaj Films’ representatives got in touch with her on Facebook for it.
Here’s a list presenting some of the most intriguing facts about the actor–
1. She broke barriers with her debut role as a blind Pakistani gay activist, Khanum in ‘Margarita, With a Straw.’ She starred opposite Kalki Koechlin and was lauded for her performance in the film.
2. She studied at the reputed Film and Television Institute of India in Pune and also worked with Atul Kumar’s Company Theatre in Mumbai.
Source: IMDB / Rohan Hoole
3. She’s been an ardent follower of the arts since she was a little girl, grabbing every opportunity she could to pursue her passion.
In an interview with Open magazine, she spoke about her Prithvi experience, highlighting her dedication to her art. “The first time I was performing at Prithvi, I reached four hours before call-time and pestered the caretaker to open the doors for me. I did jhaadu, and after my warm up, when I said my first Om, I understood that nothing will feel the way I was feeling at that point,” she said.
4. For ‘Margarita, With a Straw,’ Sayani, practiced hard. She would pretend to be blind all day on the sets and finish all her activities in the same state of blindness.
5. Sayani seeks her inspiration from people like Iranian director Asghar Farhadi, who made the academy award-winning film, A Separation (2012).
Bollywood needs more fearless icons like Sayani who can change the status quo and set a shining example for aspiring young actors.