Search Icon
Nav Arrow

Mumbai Railway Police Rescue 97-Year-Old Pakistani Man. Reunite Him With Indian Family

Ad Banner

Ninety-seven year old Sayyed Hussain, a former Pakistan Central Government clerk from Karachi, wanted to visit his family in Hyderabad and Telengana before he died. But his journey to India almost ended in disaster. Until the Mumbai Central Government Railways Police (GRP) stepped in, that is.

Hussain reached India on February 11 from the Attari border in Amritsar and took the Golden Temple express to Mumbai Central station.


Representational image

On getting down from the train he left the station premises to go purchase a ticket for Hyderabad, but lost his way while returning. Instead, he boarded a local train and got off at Dadar. On seeing him standing hungry and forlorn for about three hours, some youngsters rescued him and took him to a mosque.

This disoriented traveller’s lost luggage was found by the Railway Protection Police on the Mumbai Central railway platform.



Representational image

Once they had ascertained it was not harmful it was handed over to GRP, who found Hussain’s passport and a card bearing the name and details of a person in Hyderabad in the baggage.


The Mumbai Mirror reported Police Inspector Dalvi from Mumbai Central GRP as saying “We contacted the person and told him that we had found two bags with some clothing, gifts and a passport bearing name of one Sayyed Hussain aged 97, a resident of Karachi, to which the person said that Hussain was his maternal uncle. He said that Hussain was a resident of Karachi in Pakistan and was visiting him in Hyderabad but had failed to contact when he reached Mumbai.”

“Considering the age of the missing man, we sent teams to look for him near the railway station and also alerted other police station officials to look for a person who could have been lost,” Dalvi added.

In the meantime, Hussain had recounted the story of his arriving from Amritsar and getting lost in Mumbai to the masjid General Secretary Sher Khan. The latter quickly alerted the GRP officials at the station.

“Mumbai Central GRP officials managed to confirm the identity of the Pakistani national and took care of him while his relatives were summoned to Mumbai. The relatives arrived on Sunday morning after which his belongings were handed over to them and he went along with them thanking and blessing the policemen,” said Ritesh Ahir of GRP.

Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us:, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter (@thebetterindia).