Eraviperoor grama panchayat has become the first grama panchayat in Kerala to provide free WiFi services for the general public. Other than this, the panchayat has several other achievements to cheer about. Here are six of them.
At a time when the country is abuzz with talks about Digital India, and how technology can be taken to the remotest corners of the country, the Eraviperoor grama panchayat in Pathanamthitta district of Kerala is leading way.
It has become the first grama panchayat in Kerala to have free WiFi for the general public.
According to N. Rajeev, the grama panchayat president, the local body has set up WiFi hotspots, and free WiFi connection is now available in one kilometre radius of the panchayat. The rural areas of Kozhimala, Vallamkulam, Othera, Nannoor, and Eraviperoor come under free WiFi network.
WiFi Hotspots have been set up at the following places:
- The Grama Vijnana Kendram at Vallamkulam
- Panchayat office at Kozhimala
- Ayurveda dispensary at Nannoor
- Primary Health Centre at Othera
- Children’ park at Eraviperoor
This project cost Rs. 4,17,000, and has been implemented with the technical help of Active Infocom Ltd.
This is not for the first time that Eraviperoor grama panchayat is under the limelight for being simply amazing, and developing in the truest sense of the word. Here are six to know about the previous achievements of the panchayat:
1. Eraviperoor became the first gram panchayat in the country to receive the National Award for Public Administration this year.
This was also the maiden public administration award received by any institution or individual from Kerala.
2. In the past three years, the panchayat has received major awards including – the award for biodiversity conservation instituted by the State Biodiversity Board, and the Sanitation Award of the State Sanitation Mission.
3. They had launched a free palliative care scheme for the poor, because of which the panchayat received the State government’s Health Award and Pain and Palliative Care Award in 2014-15.
Picture for representation only. Source: sheenatabraham.wordpress.com
4. It is also the first panchayat in the State to get ISO-9001 certification for its Primary Health Centre (PHC) at Othera.
The PHC has taken several steps to ensure quality healthcare, like computerisation of the out-patient wing and modernisation of the pharmacy.
Picture for representation only. Photo Credit: Wikimedia
5. Giving a lot of stress on e-governance at the grassroots level, the panchayat’s public information are being passed over to people by SMS alerts.
Honorarium as well as salary of the panchayat staff are being sent online, directly to their bank accounts on the first working day of every month.
“The panchayat has given priority to e-governance at the grassroots level, making local self-governance citizen-centric, efficient, responsive, cost-effective, and result-oriented, thus giving a fillip to rural development,” Mr. Rajeev told The Hindu.
6. Eraviperoor villages has been recognized as a Model Hi-tech Green Village, by the Horticulture Department , for its green initiatives.
Photo Credits if not mentioned: Facebook
Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter (@thebetterindia).
We at The Better India want to showcase everything that is working in this country. By using the power of constructive journalism, we want to change India – one story at a time. If you read us, like us and want this positive movement to grow, then do consider supporting us via the following buttons.
Please read these FAQs before contributing.