Draupadi Murmu is the first Presidential candidate from a tribal community and, if elected, will be India’s second female president. Here’s what you need to know.
After days of speculation, the BJP-led NDA announced Draupadi Murmu as its Presidential Nominee on Tuesday. She is pitted against the Opposition’s Candidate, former Union Minister Yashwant Sinha.
If elected, she would be the first tribal leader to be made President, and the first President from Odisha.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted after the announcement, and said, “Murmu has devoted her life to serving society and empowering the poor, downtrodden as well as the marginalised.”
Smt. Droupadi Murmu Ji has devoted her life to serving society and empowering the poor, downtrodden as well as the marginalised. She has rich administrative experience and had an outstanding gubernatorial tenure. I am confident she will be a great President of our nation.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) June 21, 2022
Videos of Murmu visiting temples in Rairangpur, Odisha, were widely shared on social media on Wednesday. She was seen sweeping the floor of the temple — symbolic of her willingness to serve.
Even though she will be India’s second female president, if elected, Murmu will be breaking a lot of barriers and creating a whole lot of firsts.
Here are 10 things to know about Draupadi Murmu:
1. She was born on 20 June 1958 in Baidaposi village of Mayurbhanj district and belongs to the Santhal community. She worked as a teacher before entering politics and was a junior assistant in the Irrigation and Power Department.
2. She joined the BJP in 1997 and was elected as a councillor. She served as an MLA in the Odisha Legislative Assembly twice. She served as Minister of State.
3. In 2007, she was bestowed the Nilakantha Award for Best MLA by the Odisha Legislative Assembly.
4. She was Jharkhand’s first female Governor and the first Odia tribal leader to be made Governor of any state. She was also the first Jharkhand Governor to complete the entire term in the state.
5. She has served as the National Executive Member and State President of the BJP’s ST Morcha. She has held several important positions in the BJP.
6. She has faced a lot of tragedy in her personal life. She lost her husband Shyam Charan Murmu and two sons.
7. She also taught at the Shri Aurobindo Integral Education Centre in Rairangpur as an honorary assistant teacher.
8. She will be the first President to be born in Independent India, if elected.
9. As Governor, she did not pass the BJP government’s bills to amend land tenancy acts in Jharkhand. She had returned the bills that were opposed by Tribals.
10. If elected, she will be the first Tribal President and the second woman President.
‘Draupadi Murmu: A Seasoned Santal Leader With Many Firsts to Her Name | All About NDA’s Presidential Nominee’; Published on 21 June 2022 courtesy News18
‘Who’s Draupadi Murmu, the NDA’s presidential candidate?’ Published on 21 June 2022; courtesy The Indian Express
‘Droupadi Murmu: 10 things to know about NDA’s presidential nominee’ Published on 22 June 2022; courtesy The Indian Express
‘Know Droupadi Murmu, the NDA Presidential candidate‘: Published on 22 June 2022, courtesy The Tribune India
Edited by Yoshita Rao