There are over 5 million deaf in India. DEEDS - Development Education Empowerment for the Disadvantaged in Society, is an organization working to impart free vocational training and education to the hearing impaired.
DEEDS is a Charity for the Hearing Impaired. It is an acronym that stands for Development Education Empowerment for the Disadvantaged in Society.
‘To Enrich & Touch the lives of at least 10,000 deaf persons by the end of this decade’. In pursuance of this Vision, so as to make the deaf financially Self Reliant & Contributors in main stream Society’.
Key Areas of Focus:
– Free Education for the deaf
– Free Vocational Training for the deaf
– Ensuring Job Placements
- Noida Deaf Society – Noida (Computer centre providing Basic & Advanced Computer knowledge)
- DEEDS Ishara Initiative – Mumbai (Teaching English Literacy with the help of Sign Language)
- The Bajaj Institute of Learning – Dehradun (Provides education from KG to XIIth totally free
- DEEDS Catering Institute – Mumbai (Provides a one-year full-time diploma with stipend in catering certified by Maharashtra State Vocation Board)
- DEEDS LTMG Tailoring Project- Mumbai. It provides free training in the tailoring vocation.
- DEEDS Computer Center at Sanskardham at Goregaon. It imparts basic and advanced skills in computers.
- DEEDS Computer Center at Samvad Karnabadhir Prabodhini at Dombivali. It imparts basic and advanced skills in computer.
- DEEDS Computer Rooms in schools like Rochiram Thadani School for the Hearing Handicapped, Chembur and Pragati Vidyalaya for the deaf, Dadar.
- DEEDS also provide material support to 27 schools for the deaf in Mumbai as per requirements.
Their success rate in placements also has been considerable. They have placed over 400 candidates in various fields like banking, hospitality, catering, house-keeping, traffic attendents at petrol pumps, Brew Masters, Jewellery-making, diamond sorting, clerical jobs and back office processes. They are constantly striving to improve our ties with the various sectors of industry to identify lucrative opportunities for their candidates.
DEEDS is conducting a fund raising event on the 22nd October in Mumbai. It is a hilarious play with a comic twist, adapted and directed by Shubha Khote. Click here to know more about the event.
Stay tuned for volunteering opportunities with DEEDS.
Contact DEEDS at:
Development, Education, Empowerment of the Disadvantaged in Society
8 Bajaj Arcade,
31, Union Park, Khar(W),
Mumbai 400 052. India.
Read more about DEEDS and their work at their website: http://www.deeds-india.com/