10 Amazing Facts about Sanjukta Parashar: Brave IPS Officer who is a Nightmare for Militants in Assam
Sanjukta Parashar’s name is enough to fill terror in the hearts of Bodo militants of Assam. She has taken down 6 militants and arrested over 64 militants in just 15 months. Here are some amazing facts about this brave IPS officer.
Sanjukta Parashar, the brave IPS officer of 2006 batch, is making headlines for her immense courage and incredible work of fighting against the Bodo militants of Assam.
Apart from her commendable work, she is also making headlines for being the “first women IPS officer from Assam”.
In fact, the first woman to clear police service exams from Assam was Yamin Hazarika who became a DANIPS (Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Police Service) officer in 1977 and had served as ACP Chanakyapuri and as a DCP in the Delhi Armed Police. She died in 1999 in Bosnia. Another IPS officer from Assam is D Rani Doley Barman of the 1986 IPS batch, who is now Director of North East Police Academy.
So now that we have cleared the confusion, let us celebrate the amazing things Parashar has achieved in her career. Securing 85th AIR (All India Rank), Parashar chose to follow her heart and joined Police Service. Since then, she has been a nightmare for militants and criminals in Assam.
Here are some interesting facts about the inspiring lady –
1. Parashar was always interested in sports and often took part in various sporting events in her school days. She also learnt swimming and participated in plays and march pasts.
2. An IPS officer of 2006 batch, Parashar was first posted as the Assistant Commandant of Makum in 2008. She was soon given the responsibility of controlling the clashes between Bodo and illegal Bangladeshi militants.
3. She is best known for taking down 16 militants, arresting over 64 and seizing tons of arms and ammunition in just 15 months .
4. Sanjukta completed her graduation in Political Science from IP College, Delhi University. She then did her master’s in International Relations from JNU, New Delhi. Not only this, she also earned an M.Phil followed by a Phd in US foreign policy! You can proudly call her Dr. Sanjukta.
5. Sanjukta is married to an IAS officer posted in Assam and the couple often spends months apart without meeting.
6. She also has a son and Sanjukta’s mother takes care of him in her absence.
7. As Superintendent of Police in Sonitpur district, she heads a team of CRPF jawans with AK-47 in the terror-infested region and has become one of the most feared police officers among Bodo militants.
8. She is a humble and loving person and says only criminals should fear her.
9. Apart from doing her duty of a tough cop, she also spends days in relief camps to meet people who are far from their homes and often distributes candies to two-wheeler riders who wear helmets.
10. She has received various threats from National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) but that doesn’t affect her determination to perform her duties.