Case in Point: Almond Milk
Claim: Almond milk is the healthier, eco-friendlier alternative to dairy milk
What we found out:
- Veganism has gained momentum over the past few years and almond milk, which tastes much like dairy milk, has found a surging demand worldwide.
- For most vegans, the decision to give up meat and dairy products comes from an eco-conscious way of living. Replacing dairy with almond milk sounds like a good decision until scientific studies suggest otherwise.
- One such study shows that the sky-rocketing demand for almonds has put the lives of bees at risk in countries like the USA where almond plantations are plenty. California alone produces 80 per cent of the world’s almonds.
- This is one case of a well-meaning initiative taking a bad turn.
- Reports show that many bee farmers in California are renting out the insect hives to almond farmers to meet the growing demand for the nuts.
- The bees are responsible for pollinating the almond plantations for which, they have to cut short their hibernation period by 2-3 months. Such workload has resulted in the death of nearly 50 billion bees– in a single winter season!
- Chemicals and fertilisers used to grow the nuts also result in the death of bees.
- Does that mean almond milk is eco-harming? Not if you go for Indian cultivated organic almonds. Ethics begin at the cultivation stage and one must make informed, responsible decisions to truly reduce their carbon footprint.
Cutting to the chase
When the nut is grown organically and locally, almond milk gives you a fainter carbon footprint than dairy milk. It is also highly nutritious and good for those with lactose intolerance.
Grown in the valley of Kashmir, these organic almonds ensure quality, taste and nutrition. Buy from a trusted source to ensure a sustainable diet.
Trying out almond milk for the first time? Get it from trusted vendors who will provide the best quality vegan products. Give Plant Veda’s organic, dairy-free almond milk a chance.
Go a step further and try an almond butter- the perfect spread for your morning toast. This butter contains stevia and has no added sugar, colour, preservative, salt and is diabetic friendly.