On 31 May 2020, the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will conduct the IAS examination. With lakhs of candidates appearing for this examination year after year, in this article, we bring to you all the information that you need about it.
Who can apply?
- Candidates holding a bachelor’s degree;
- For the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and Indian Police Service (IPS), candidates must be Indian citizens;
- For other streams, the candidate can be subjects of Nepal or Bhutan;
- An Indian origin migrant from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam who came to settle in India permanently can also appear for the examination;
- The candidate must be 21 years old as of 1 August 2020, and not more than 32 years of age;
- Candidates applying for the examination can do so for a maximum of six attempts;
- Do note that the admit card for the examination will be issued in April 2020;
- The preliminary examination will be held on 31 May 2020;
- If the candidate clears the preliminary paper, then the general paper will be held on 18 September 2020;
For more information on how to prepare for the exams, read what previous toppers have to say here.
Important dates and information:
- The application form for the examination will be released on 12 February 2020.
- The form can be filled out and submitted until 3 March 2020.
- The application form costs Rs 100 and female candidates are exempt from paying this fee.
- The preliminary paper will have multiple-choice questions and must be answered in two hours for a total of 200 marks.
- The general paper 1 will have 100 questions, and general paper 2 will have 80 questions.
How to apply?
- The forms will be available on the official UPSC website here.
- Under the tab ‘Examination’ – you will find another tab called ‘UPSC Civil Services Examination 2020’.
- Enter your name, e-mail address, telephone number, and date of birth when prompted.
- Enter the captcha code displayed on the screen to proceed.
- You will receive your login credentials on your registered e-mail id.
- Once you have logged in, you will need to key in your personal, educational, and employment details.
- Do remember that you must save your form at every stage so as not to lose any information. You can make changes until you click on ‘submit form’ – so remember to go through all your details with a fine-teeth comb before the final submission.
- You must have a scanned passport size photograph and your signature ready for upload.
For more information on how to prepare for the exams, read what previous toppers have to say.
(Edited by Shruti Singhal)
Support the voice of unsung heroes and extra-ordinary citizens
We believe that It is essential for a country like ours to have a voice that celebrates unsung heroes, gives a platform for change makers, inspires millions of people. By using the power of constructive journalism, we want to change India – one story at a time.
While we do have advertising revenues, they aren’t enough to cover the costs of bringing all these stories to you. So, if you believe in us and a better India, and want this positive news movement to grow, then do consider supporting us via the above buttons.