One thing I noticed during my 4+ years as a camp instructor is that children LOVE the outdoors. And they love it even more when they are with people of their age. There are fewer rules of what to say, what to wear, how to play and a general sense of more freedom. Camps are that escape for a school student who wants to explore the environment, learn new skills and make new friends.
If you are in or around Dharwad this Christmas, then let your child experience an exciting camp and explore nature. Click here to book their place in the four-day camp now!
From Bengaluru’s concrete jungle to Dharwad’s green outdoors:
The base of this camp is in Suman Sangam, a “forest farm” in the laps of the Western Hills. Thanks to the exploitation of land resources the place was a barren land some 20 years ago.
Suman Sangam belongs to Dr Sanjeev Kulkarni, a doctor based in Dharwad. Over two decades ago, he decided to nurture a thriving ecosystem in his property with a variety of plants, trees, insects and birds living in harmony.
Through years of hard work and determination, the doctor turned the barren land into a 17-acre dense forest and a 2-acre organic farm to support his food needs. Campers can enjoy four days of peace, quiet and valuable learnings right in the heart of this magnificent forest-farm.
What to expect in the camp:
Deepti R Bhat, the facilitator of the workshop shares that this workshop is going to be all about connecting the urban kids with nature. “Young children need to know what is growing in their backyard, where their food comes from, and how it is to live in nature. We have conducted walks in Bengaluru too, showing kids that the city is not just about tall buildings and traffic. If the plants and ecosystem in Bengaluru can fascinate them, imagine the treasure chest they’ll open in the middle of a 19-acre forest farm!” she exclaims enthusiastically.
- The children will get to walk in this lush piece of land, watch wild bird species, identify trees and have a wonderful getaway from their routine.
- Deepti shares that sustainable living is a key focus of the workshop. She and I both agree that once preteens and teens settle into a green lifestyle, they can inspire their parents, family and friends too.
- “We will teach them skills such as water management which are easily transferable in their urban lives too,” says Deepti.
- Right from brushing teeth with ash and salt to living in a house made with upcycled hospital waste, the kids will get to learn something extraordinary in the four days.
For parents who wish to enrol their kids in this nature camp in Dharwad, here are some important details:
- Age group: 8 to 15 years
- Workshop Date: 25-28 Dec 2019
- Timings: Departure from Bengaluru on the 24th at 9.00 PM and return by the 29th at around 6.00 AM
- Camp Location: Suman Sangam, Dharwad, Karnataka 580007
All Images Courtesy of: Happily Outdoors.
(Edited by Saiqua Sultan)