Dry shampoos are a blessing if you use them right. Here are simple steps to achieve gorgeous hair without washing them!
The one thing we dread in winters is washing hair. The dripping cold ends, the blow-drying and the still-wet-to-the-touch hair is something nobody looks forward to. And when you step out of the house, then we invite a cold, headaches or at the very least, a heavy head.
During such times, dry shampoos come as a true blessing.
They clean greasy hair and add volume to it. For travel buffs and bath-haters, nothing is more convenient than a dry shampoo. But are you applying the spray or powder correctly? Let’s find out.
What is dry shampoo and how does it work?
Usually, dry shampoo is an alcohol-based hair care product that soaks up the grease in your hair leaving your scalp clean. You apply it on your hair, brush it and the shampoo cleans your scalp without using water.
For people struggling with oily hair, this product is a go-to solution when you need to go out but lack the time.
A reservation about these shampoos is the alcohol content. Alcohol takes away the grease but it also soaks up all the natural oils from your scalp, leaving your hair looking dry and frail.
But there are alternatives out there.
Traditionally, corn starch is used as a dry shampoo powder. Bare Necessities dry shampoo has both cornstarch and Organic cocoa powder which will make your hair look and smell beautiful.
How do you use dry shampoo?
Here are some simple tips you can follow to ensure your hair gets cleaned well. But remember, dry shampoos cannot replace your regular hair wash forever. They work only for 4-5 days at a stretch.
- Buy the correct shampoo. Alcohol-based shampoos may not suit your hair and repeated use may leave them damaged. Go for eco-friendly hair care products instead, like this dry shampoo by Vishisht. Click here to buy.
- Do not, in any case, spray or sprinkle the shampoo all over your head. The shampoos are meant only for the roots of your hair.
- Part your hair in small sections to apply the dry shampoo. Keep the spray about 5 inches from your head. In case of powders, use a make-up brush and lightly apply the powder to the roots.
- Now comb your hair in light strokes to brush off the powder so no flakes are visible. You need not do anything else for sprays but if you feel like there’s too much product, wipe it gently with your fingertips.
- Use a wide-toothed comb (preferably wooden) and brush your hair well. This allows the dry shampoo to spread and reach more surface area.
- Remember not apply the shampoo on your hair. It is only for the roots.
- For best results, follow this process a few hours before you need to step out. Having said that, dry shampoos work their magic even if you apply them in a hurry and head out.
- Once the shampoo is applied all over your hair, lightly brush your hair to style them.
- Do not massage your head or run your fingers through your hair after the shampoo is applied. The natural oil on your scalp may affect the hair texture.
That’s it! A little routine and bad hair day no more!
(Edited by Saiqua Sultan)