Over the course of our lives, our hair goes through a lot of trauma, thanks to our busy schedules, poor diet, and environmental pollution.
And while you may point to that bottle of shampoo which promises to bring your damaged tresses back to life, we’ll have you know that these chemical-loaded personal care products are only damaging your hair and scalp further.
Before you grab your wallet and make a run to the nearest salon for a hair spa, may we suggest that you stay in the comfort of your own home, and indulge in an organic hair spa treatment?
(In fact, you can do your scalp a favour by switching to a chemical-free shampoo and conditioner. See below!)
1.Coconut cream for dry, brittle hair
Coconuts are versatile, nutritious, and all-round awesome. Unfortunately, their amazing properties are overshadowed by the chemicals used by big businesses to preserve their products.
So, give that “coconut” shampoo a miss, grab some organic coconut cream and get started with this session. Your hair will thank you for this, we promise!
- The first step is to steam your hair. Place a steamer or a pot of very hot water on a table, bend over it and cover your hair and the steamer/pot with a towel. This so that the steam stays enveloped and can work on your hair.
- Do this for about 15 minutes before you remove the towel. Let the condensed water settle in your hair.
- After about 10 minutes, massage your scalp and hair with organic coconut cream. Start from the scalp and move towards the tips. Wrap your head in a towel and let the cream work its magic for an hour.
2. Olive oil and bananas to reduce scalp irritation and dandruff
In many cases, dandruff is the result of our scalp reacting to the ingredients in hair care products. And once it appears, it is tough to remove, especially if generic shampoos are your solution. Switch to organic and see the difference in your scalp!
- Take a ripe banana and blend it in a mixer till it is lump-free. Add a tablespoon of organic olive oil and blend again till you get a smooth mixture.
- Follow the hair-steaming procedure mentioned above and then massage your scalp and hair with this olive-oil and banana puree. Keep it so for 15 minutes.
3. Fenugreek seeds for scalp acne or weak hair
The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of fenugreek seeds help it combat scalp acne as well as dandruff—both of which lead to weak hair.
- Soak organic fenugreek seeds overnight. The next day, make a fine paste of the seeds and curd.
- Steam or rinse your hair and apply the paste to your scalp and hair. Leave the hair mask for 30 minutes and let the seeds and curd work their magic.
4. Honey to moisturise your hair and reduce their breakage
Make sure you only use organic raw honey for this hair spa treatment.
- Take about ¼ cup of honey and use water or raw milk to make it thin and easily spreadable.
- Using a spoon, add the milk (which is healthier for your hair) or water slowly. Don’t make the mixture too thin.
- Rinse or steam your hair before you apply a thin layer of the milk-honey mixture on them.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. You can put on a shower cap to keep your hair in place.
5. Apple cider vinegar to balance pH levels and control dandruff and split-ends
- Dilute two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with one cup of water. Pour the mixture in a spray bottle and keep for later.
- Finish your regular shampoo and conditioner routine. Squeeze the excess water from your hair.
- Spray the apple cider vinegar on your hair and ensure that it is spread evenly. Let your hair soak up the nutrients for about 5-10 minutes before rinsing it with cold water.
- Air-dry your hair and voila! Admire your detangled and smooth hair!
6. Hibiscus powder and castor oil to help bald patches
- Take a spoonful of hibiscus powder and mix it with 7-8 teaspoonfuls of organic castor oil (for shoulder-length hair).
- Make sure the paste is free of lumps.
- Rinse or steam your hair before massaging your hair with this paste. Put on a shower cap and let the paste do its job for at least two hours.
Synthetic colours, artificial fragrances and harsh sulfates that make your hair frizzy and brittle—these are just three of the many harmful chemicals commonly used in shampoos.
And with every wash, you are damaging your hair even further. Sure, they look soft, but in the long run, a chemical shampoo is one of the most consistent reasons why you end up with bad hair days.
But hey, we come with solutions, not just problems. To complete your chemical-free hair spa day, wash your hair with any of these chemical-free shampoos. Click on the “buy now” button to go through our wide range of organic shampoos.
8. Complete your hair spa with a chemical-free conditioner:
Like shampoos, conditioners too, are loaded with harmful chemicals. They may detangle your hair but are entangling you in a vicious cycle of your hair begging for natural moisture and you drowning them again in chemical conditioner.
Check out our range of chemical-free alternatives instead and help your hair become soft naturally!
(Edited by Gayatri Mishra)