Thinking of revamping your living room? From toxin-free scents to sustainable furniture, these tips will make it super easy to give your favourite space a green makeover! #LiveGreen #Lifestyle
The living room is all-important in any home. The place to relax after a long work shift. The room you tidy up to welcome your guests. The corner where all family members sit together over a round of tea or a movie.
Your living room has to be cosy, neat, accommodating and more – all at the same time. Decorating the room can be taxing, especially if you are conscious about how each decor product affects you.
Perfect Winter Getaway: 8 Himalayan Homestays You Can Snuggle In to Enjoy Snowfall
Planning a winter vacation in Himachal Pradesh or Uttarakhand? Check out the 10 best homestays that you can book to enjoy snowfall.Read more >
Breathe and let breathe. Opt for a chemical-free, organic air freshener over the toxic ‘solutions’ in the market. Check out our shop for ‘fresh’ options instead.
Light bulbs to furniture arrangement, every detail counts.
So here’s a guide on how to do it ethically, sustainably and in a fashion that will keep your family healthy.
And even if home decor is not on your mind currently, read on to understand how your home can be a more welcoming, positive space.
- LED lights are inexpensive and efficient, which is why more and more households are switching to them. But blue peaks from LEDs can cause redness in the eyes, itchiness, headaches and, in extreme cases, even age-related macular degeneration. If you need to create a cosy ambience with dim lighting, go for hanging or standing lamps. These will set a pleasant mood in the evening and also make your room look lovely.
- Air Conditioners demand enclosed and closed-off spaces. Go for ceiling fans instead, paired with open windows that give an airy feel. They will keep the air-ventilated, your room cool and energy-saving ones are light on the pocket as well. You can check out this here to find out more about them.
- I never get tired of advocating plants. No decor is better than a natural one. Plant native ornamental species in hanging plant holders in your balcony or corners of your room for a bright and cheery look!
- An accommodating living room demands stylish space to sit comfortably. But furniture can be bulky, costly and makes it hard to get a new look every season. Instead, go for desi floor seating arrangements. Arrange a floor mattress and have lots of cushions on it. It is comfy, makes your room look bigger and can be given new covers every so often!
- If you are going to buy furniture, consider second-hand furniture. It is cheaper and if well-inspected, just as impressive as any new furniture piece. Recently, I decided to be adventurous and got a customised standing mirror made. The frame and the stand came separately from a second-hand furniture shop. Only the mirror glass was brand new. It cost me at least Rs 4000 less than most standing mirrors in the market! Plus, I gained some bragging rights. So get yours ASAP!
- Once your coffee table, seating arrangement, shelves etc. are arranged, it’s time to (ethically) up the look. Upcycled rugs, for example, can go beneath your coffee table to give the space a warm feel. Eco-friendly and upcycled table runners can be spread over your tables. And cushions can make your chairs, sofas or mattresses more comfortable. Ensure that the products are ethical and you are good to go!
Every home is different, and we don’t want to assume all the tiny details of how you wish to decorate it. But we do have a one-stop-shop for everything from candle stands to bamboo speakers and coasters to file keeper. Check out the eco-friendly products and decorate to your heart’s content – both ethical and sustainable.
Building a Reading Habit? Here Are 8 Iconic Book Clubs to Join in India
From promoting silent reading to hosting author events, these book clubs across the country are every reader's paradise.Read more >
(Edited by Vinayak Hegde)