India's first indigenous payment ecosystem, the newly-launched National Common Mobility Card can be used to make payments across all segments including the metro, bus, suburban railways as well as shopping!
If paying for different purchases in different mediums stresses you out, the ‘One Nation, One Card’ might just be the good news you were waiting for.
Citizens can use the inter-operable transport card to pay for their bus travel, toll taxes, parking charges, retail shopping and even withdraw money.
Why I Grow My Own Veggies? It Isn’t a Hobby; It’s A Way of Life
Sooraj Purushothaman, an organic farmer from Kerala, shares the advantages of gardening and encourages everyone to connect with nature.Read more >
Speaking to the Hindustan Times, Durga Shanker Mishra, the secretary to the Ministry of Urban Affairs, said, “It is a matter of pride that this card, based on National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) standards is compliant with the ‘Make in India’ initiative. The gate and reader prototype has been made by government-owned Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL). All Debit/Credit Cards will be NCMC compliant.”
Here are nine of its most important features:
1. The One Nation One Card is India’s first indigenously developed payment ecosystem. The initiative is supported by the Automatic Fare Collection Gate called ‘Swaagat’ and an open Loop Automatic Fare Collection System called ‘Sweekar.’ Both Swaagat and Sweekar have been developed in India.
2. The One Nation One Card can be compared to a RuPay debit/credit card issued by your bank.
3. Along with a swipe-to-pay option, the transport ecosystem card will also be contactless, allowing quick payment options like your metro smart card.
4. You can use the card on public transport systems like buses, metros and suburban railways and also while shopping. It can also be used to pay for parking and in toll booths.
5. You need to contact your bank to be issued a One Nation One Card. NCMC has partnered with 25 banks for this initiative. The list includes SBI and the Punjab National Bank.
6. In addition to this, the Paytm payments bank can also be used to issue the card.
7. In some cases, travel cards issued in a particular city did not function in a different city or state. This newly launched card will eliminate this issue and will be usable across the country.
You may also like: Got a New Chip Debit Card? Here’s How The ATM Process Has Changed For You
8. Along with cashback offers on certain merchant outlets, the RuPay One Nation One Card will also be accepted at Discover and Diners Club International merchants and ATMs.
Meet the Couple Making Chicago Fall in Love With Onam Sadhya, Appam & the Taste of Kerala
Margaret Pak and Vinod Kalathil started ‘Thattu’ restaurant in Chicago, which has now become the Keralan comfort food destination for the city's people. Recently, they were featured in The New York Times as one of the top 50 favourite restaurants in the US.Read more >
9. The automatic fare collection system has been installed in a few stations of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation and the first level trials have been marked as successful.
(Edited by Gayatri Mishra)
Like this story? Or have something to share?
Write to us: email@example.com
Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Meet the Kerala Doctor Who Helped Detect Nipah Outbreak Early, This Time & In 2018
Dr Anoop Kumar AS, critical care specialist in Kozhikode, was part of the teams that were able to diagnose Nipah virus with their quick thinking and swift action.Read more >