The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a notification stating that a new Rs 20 currency note with additional features will be releasing soon.
Since the demonetisation announcement in November 2016, the apex bank has introduced new notes of Rs 200 and Rs 2000 as well as of Rs 10, 50, 100 and 500. While the former two are new denominations in the Indian currency, the latter denominations have notes that are legal tender in the new design as well as old.
Here are eight things you should know about the new Rs 20 note:
1. According to a document released by RBI, the new Rs 20 note will have additional features as compared to the current design. The new design has not been released as of yet.
2. Even after the release, the old notes will still be legal tender.
3. The RBI data bank suggests that there are about 10 billion pieces of Rs 20 notes in circulation as of March 2018, twice the number calculated in March 2016 (4.92 billion).
4. These Rs 20 notes account for 9.8 per cent of the currency notes in circulation (as of March 2018).
5. The new notes, introduced under the Mahatma Gandhi (new) series are different in dimension and design as compared to the older series. Brightly coloured, the notes also feature heritage sites and places of historical importance from around the country.
You may also like: RBI Issues New Rules About Rs 200, Rs 2000 Notes: 7 Points to Know
6. All the notes in the new series feature Mahatma Gandhi on the front side. However, unlike the old notes, in the new ones, the image faces rightwards. This is the angle that was featured in the original photo. You can read the fascinating story behind this here.
7. Notes of the denomination of Rs 100 were the last ones introduced by the RBI. You can read about that here.
(Edited by Gayatri Mishra)