A thin mist envelops the sky and the billion stars that embellish it. The mighty Himayalas surround you as your train chugs through the idyllic town of Shimla. While you are sitting inside a train, you can get a perfect view of the gorgeous surroundings. Fantastic, isn’t it?
The trial run of the Vistadome coach by the Indian Railways was completed successfully on Sunday, 11 November 2018 and you will soon be able to embark upon this dreamlike journey. Here are seven things to know about the train:
1. The Kalka-Shimla railway track is a UNESCO World Heritage site and falls under the Ambala division of Northern railways. Now the Vistadome coach, which has been named Nihaar, makes it a one-of-its-kind route.
2. Thanks to a 12-mm-thick glass on the roof and door of the Vistadome, passengers can enjoy a panoramic view of the pristine Himalayas as they travel on the 4+ hour journey.
3. The Vistadome coach has the capacity to seat 36 passengers and will be equipped with LED lights, window blinds and cushioned wooden interiors.
4. To make the journey even more interesting, the coach will have revolving chairs as well as bio-vacuum toilets, which among many more amenities, will make your travel fun.
5. Piyush Goyal, the Minister of Railways, tweeted saying,
“The Kalka-Shimla Rail, equipped with a Vistadome Coach, ran its first trial trip today.
Passengers can now soak in the beautiful landscape with better vision through the glass top ceiling of the newly converted coach.”
6. Although the timing, fare and a total number of coaches are yet to be decided by the Ministry, the successful trial run shows promise that Shimla-Kalka train will begin operations very soon.
7. Following this, the Ministry of Railways has commissioned another Vistadome coach on the Mumbai-Goa route, which will give passengers a stunning view of the Western Ghats!
(Edited by Gayatri Mishra)
Featured image source: Visit Himalaya.