This World Environment Day, over 5,000 Mumbaikars joined hands at Juhu beach to kick start #SAVETHEBEACH initiative in association with the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM).
But one initiative particularly caught our eye. Staying true to this year’s theme #BeatPlasticPollution, eco-friendly startup Apro Green Tech, set up a plastic recycling kiosk at the iconic beach’s food court. The startup which is known for integrating green technology with infrastructure, alongside local corporator Renu Hansraj and AbInBev installed the machine.
With a 10 kg storage, this uber cool machine has the capacity of recycling 500 plastic bottles at once. All you have to do is drop your plastic bottles inside an opening in the machine which will later crush it into flake.
Speaking to The Better India, Apro Green Tech co-founder Aditi Sirkar, shared how these plastic flakes will later be recycled into granules, which can serve a host of purposes.
This machine enables environment-threatening plastic waste to get a new lease of eco-friendly life–from making plastic hangers to manufacturing furniture or being used in their green technology projects like road construction or even in companies that manufacture plastic emulsion paint.
(Read more about Apro Green Tech’s spectacular innovations here.)
Some key features and benefits of this plastic bottle crushing/recycling machine are:
- It is compact, automatic and soundproof.
- It ensures 100% processing of waste generated at the source to avoid reuse of the bottles.
- One machine can crush over 8,64,000 pet bottles annually, resulting in over 85% volume reduction in the size of waste and ensuring that 17.2 tonnes of waste gets recycled per year.
- It will help save over 1,000 litres of crude oil on recycling of pet bottles alone.
- Water-conserving method: It saves 5-6 litres of water used per kg when waste is recycled using the traditional recycling method.
- It will free 13 cubic yard of space in landfills annually.
- Additionally, it will also reduce over 43.2 metric tons of CO2 emissions and create raw material for different industries.
- It can also help generate employment opportunities.
- One of the other features the company is currently working on is to help customers get an SMS thanking them for partaking in the recycling process and also gifting them a discount coupon.
“We are working on incorporating free Wi-Fi and vending discount coupons from the machine for AbInbev in the next few months,” Aditi told TBI.
The kiosk also has an AV playing at all times to help people understand the benefits of recycling. AproGreenTech is now looking forward to getting corporates on board to use the kiosk for advertising purposes.
The kiosk was inaugurated by Mr Ameet Satam, the MLA of Andheri West, on 5th June. It also saw the participation of celebrity Varun Dhawan who backed the cause of keeping the beach clean.
Renu Hansraj, Juhu Ward Corporator and Founder, Juhu – soul of Mumbai city and citizens group Forward 69, spoke to The Times of India. She said, “Mother Earth gives life abundance and selflessly while we pollute and ravage her with plastic toxicity. We need to awaken the nurturer within each one of us and be the change. The choice is ours; either your Beat Plastic Pollution or it Beats You.”
We are thrilled at this invention and look forward to the adoption of similar machines in our cities, for a greener, cleaner and plastic-free India.
(Edited by Shruti Singhal)