The app is also an excellent way for the railways to go green.
Booking tickets in the unreserved category, purchasing or renewing season tickets, and buying platform tickets will now be a total breeze, thanks to the ‘UTS on MOBILE’ app which has been developed by the Southern Railways.
The mobile app-based paperless ticket facility is being launched for the division’s passengers in 18 stations, across Kerala, this weekend.
The GPS-enabled app is compatible with Apple, Android and Windows Phones.
IAS Coaching Centre Fined Rs 5 Lakh for Misleading Ads With Toppers: Red Flags You Should Check For
Searching for the best UPSC coaching institute? The Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) has just imposed a fine of Rs 5 Lakh on Khan Study Group (KSG) for misleading ads with IAS toppers.Read more >
The user needs to sign in, post which he/she can book tickets with pre-loaded funds in R-Wallet (Railway Wallet), an e-payment mode of Indian Railways, which doesn’t even have a service charge! The ticket will get downloaded on the phone and can be shown to the authorities during the process of ticket checking.
How will this work?
1) Register your phone number on the app, or online at https://www.utsonmobile.indianrail.gov.in
2) Post registration, you will get a 4-digit mpin, which is a password that can be used for the mobile app as well as on the UTS Mobile Website.
3) After registering, an e-wallet called R-Wallet will be created, with 0 balance, which you can recharge using a debit/credit card, net-banking, or other e-wallets like Mobikwik and PayTm.
4) There are designated railway stations, which will have help-desks, to familiarise passengers with the app, and to help them with the installation.
There are certain rules, however. They are as follows:
1) The ticket/image is non-transferable and is linked to the IMEI of the smartphone.
2) You have to be within the geo-fencing area of the station which is 25 metres away from the railway track/station and within a 5 km radius of the station.
The Better India Among Top 4 Finalists for Prestigious Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award, 2023
The Better India has been selected as one of the four finalists of the prestigious ‘Social Entrepreneur of the Year’ India Award for 2023, launched by Swiss non-profit Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, in partnership with Jubilant Bhartia Foundation.Read more >
The facility is being launched at the Ernakulam Town, Kanyakumari, Aluva, Nagercoil Jn, Ernakulam Jn, Kulitturai, Varkala Sivagiri, Alappuzha, Chengannur, Kayamkulam Jn, Kollam Jn, Kottayam, Tiruvalla, Thrissur, Thiruvananthapuram Central, Changanassery, Guruvayur and Kochuveli railway stations of the Thiruvananthapuram Division.
You may also like: IRCTC Lowers Prices of Rail Meals, Ramps up Quality of Catering Services!
It will eventually be launched at all other stations of the division to help passengers avoid long queues at ticket counters so that they can travel without any hassles.
Like this story? Or have something to share? Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org, or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!
Want to Play a Role in Shaping India’s Climate Laws & Policies? Here’s a One-Stop Guide
Civis, a platform that enables citizens to participate in public consultations in the domain of environment and policy has released Climate Voices. This is a handbook and guide for Indians to participate in environmental law-making and play an active role in shaping our climate policies.Read more >