Illegal constructions are rampant in most cities. Which civic body does one lodge a complaint with for cases though? In a first, a special police station is being set up in Hyderabad to crack down on all illegal constructions.
The police station, which will be a part of Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation’s proposed Enforcement, Vigilance and Disaster Management Cell, will be housed at Buddha Bhavan in Secunderabad.
Of 22 lakh houses in the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) limits, civic officials estimate about 10% of them could be unauthorised and over 50% have deviations from the sanctioned building plans, making it tough for officials to tackle the menace, as reported by Times of India.
IPS officer Viswajeet Kampti will be the first Director of this cell.
Here’s how this special cell will function:
1. Lodge an FIR like you would in all other matters at the special cell.
2. The special cell will then investigate and take the matter up as it deems fit.
3. Since this cell is an autonomous body, it will have powers to take action independently.
4. This special cell will also be able to impose penalties on establishments and people flouting the rules.
5. Apart from police, representatives from town planning, sanitation and other departments of the GHMC will assist them.
6. The cell will have 600 employees who will also take up period checks.
7. The cell would also monitor usage of plastic below 50 microns, inspect garbage vehicles, which carry trash from households to transfer stations, and agencies, which dig up roads without permission, and road quality.
In another story we covered, we brought to you the story of Tamil Nadu’s RS Puram police station, in Coimbatore city, that bagged the award for the ‘Best Police Station’ in the country in the category of SMART Police Stations, an initiative by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
The RS Puram station has an exclusive room for visitors, a waiting hall, investigation room, a receptionist cabin, treated drinking water and a ramp for the disabled. The all-woman police (east) has set up a crèche for the kids accompanying petitioners.
You can read all about that here.
(Edited By Vinayak Hegde)
You May Also Like: Meet IPS Officer Asra Garg, the Man Who is Restoring Our Faith in the System