Close
Igniting Ideas For impact

Embarking on a transformative journey through six chapters, we traverse India's landscape, exploring pioneering startups and their revolutionary...

10 months

Hospital Staff in Indore Turn Heroes, Save 47 Newborns From Certain Death

The hospital's neonatal ICU section had turned into a gas chamber.

Hospital Staff in Indore Turn Heroes, Save 47 Newborns From Certain Death

Despite a detailed set of rules and regulations governing fire safety laws, many buildings in India remain negligent. It was negligence of these basic fire safety rules that caused the death of 93 people in the AMRI hospital, Kolkata, in 2011.

In a remarkable turn of events, doctors and nurses at Madhya Pradesh’s largest tertiary care facility, the Maharaja Yeshwantrao (MY) Hospital in Indore, rescued 47 new-born children after a fire on Thursday turned its neo-natal ICU into a gas chamber.

The hospital staff displayed great vigilance, awareness and courage in preventing another tragedy like the 2011 fire at a Kolkata medical facility, which had left 93 dead.

As per a report in the Times of India, both doctors and nurses smashed the windows open in the neo-natal ICU section of the hospital as smoke from the fire began to spread into the floor on which it was situated.

After shattering windows, they constructed a makeshift bridge — made of broken furniture and poles to the roof of an adjacent building — and carefully transported these babies still hooked to oxygen respirators to safety.

“Nurses and doctors would follow every baby, pumping hand-held respiratory support,” said the ToI report. “For nearly an hour, 19 children were given respiration manually through ambulatory bags and stabilised, even as firefighters fought the flames.” It took the firefighters nearly 15 minutes to douse the flames entirely.

Read also: Meet India’s First Woman Firefighter, a Trailblazer for Generations of Women to Come!

With most fire-related deaths down to the inhalation of poisonous smoke, the newborns were in great danger. If the hospital staff had not reacted as quickly, the hospital could have suffered a real tragedy.

For representational purposes (Source: Wikimedia Commons)
For representational purposes (Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Initial assessments seem to indicate that the source of the fire was a malfunctioning ventilator that caught sparks. “The fire started in the out-born unit of NICU, where three ventilators were installed. It is the smoke that created panic and threatened the lives of babies admitted to this ward,” fire sub-inspector S N Sharma said. A confirmation will come after the completion of a magisterial probe.

Like this story? Or have something to share?
Write to us: [email protected]
Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!

If you found our stories insightful, informative, or even just enjoyable, we invite you to consider making a voluntary payment to support the work we do at The Better India. Your contribution helps us continue producing quality content that educates, inspires, and drives positive change.

Choose one of the payment options below for your contribution-

By paying for the stories you value, you directly contribute to sustaining our efforts focused on making a difference in the world. Together, let’s ensure that impactful stories continue to be told and shared, enriching lives and communities alike.

Thank you for your support. Here are some frequently asked questions you might find helpful to know why you are contributing?

Support the biggest positivity movement section image
Support the biggest positivity movement section image

This story made me

  • feel inspired icon
    97
  • more aware icon
    121
  • better informative icon
    89
  • do something icon
    167

Tell Us More

Shorts

Shorts

See All
X