Early morning on Wednesday, when 45-year-old Darshana went to the kitchen to make tea in her Patilwadi Chawl home in Thane, she feared a gas leak.
She screamed, asking her husband and two daughters to run out of the house immediately. The cooking gas cylinder exploded right after, with Darshana, her 65-year-old husband, Dagdu Jadhav, and their 26-year-old daughter Dipti escaping just in time with minor injuries.
19-year-old Preeti, however, got stuck under a cupboard that fell on her due to the blast. Jadhav, who had initially escaped unhurt, decided to go inside and rescue his daughter.
He went inside and pulled her from under the cupboard, during which he suffered 60% burns.
Their neighbour, who owns an ambulance, took them to the hospital right after, reports The Times of India.
#MGChangemakers - Episode 2: THE 21-YEAR JOURNEY OF CHANGE | Driving India Into Future
Live Now #MGChangemakers Episode 2 : Touched by poverty, untouchability and atrocities against Musahar- the Mahadalit community of Bihar, Padma Shri Sudha Varghese decided to dedicate her life for their upliftment. Watch the video to learn about her inspirational journey & how she is ‘Driving India Into The Future’. #MGChangemakers powered by MG Motor India and supported by United Nations India. Show your support by donating now: http://bit.ly/Milap-MGChangemakersPosted by TheBetterIndia on Wednesday, July 18, 2018
The fire brigade and the regional disaster management team were called by locals. They suggested that the gas leak was caused due to a damaged old rubber tube connecting the cylinder and gas stove.
“The room was filled with gas. Early morning, when someone switched on the lights, there could have been a spark triggering the blast and fire,” Santosh Kadam, disaster management officer at the RDMC, told TOI.
Jadhav’s condition is said to be quite critical, while the rest of his family members only suffered 20% burns.