With misinforming reports doing rounds about Aadhaar being mandatory for online booking of railway tickets, IRCTC, the online handle of Indian Railways, has put a rest to all the rumours by clarifying that the e-booking facility without Aadhaar is very much functional.
On its website, IRCTC has explained that only if one crosses the limit of booking six tickets in a month, would the requirement of linking one’s IRCTC account with his/her UID arise.
Following the linking of Aadhaar, one can book up to 12 tickets in a month.
— IRCTC (@IRCTCofficial) November 1, 2017
In case you are wondering how to link your Aadhaar with the IRCTC account, it is quite simple and can be done online.
Here are five steps to which you can avail the facility of booking more than six tickets and up to 12 tickets in a month:
1. IRCTC Registered User is required to get himself/herself Aadhaar verified using Aadhaar KYC option in My Profile.
2. User’s Aadhaar will be verified by sending an OTP on his mobile number linked to his Aadhaar number. On successful submission of OTP, the user will become Aadhaar verified.
3. At least one passenger on the ticket being booked, beyond six tickets in a month, should also be Aadhaar verified.
4. Users are required to verify the probable passengers through their respective Aadhaar number and store the verified passengers in passenger master list. This should be done before starting the ticket booking process, beyond six tickets in a month.
5. The user can add Aadhaar verified passenger from master list at the time of booking to book additional tickets up to 12 tickets in a month.
You can check IRCTC’s step-by-step manual for further reference here.