Readers only offer: Get additional Rs 200 off on 'The Better Home' powerful natural cleaners. Shop Now
X
This Father-Son Duo From Kochi Has Designed and Built a Seaplane All by Themselves!

This Father-Son Duo From Kochi Has Designed and Built a Seaplane All by Themselves!

The seaplane is fitted with the engine of a Maruti Omni car and has a maximum speed of 100 km per hour. This comes as an advantage, for regular boats cannot operate at such an elevated speed in the backwaters.

Promotion
Ad Banner

Seaplanes are indeed objects of wonder, for its capacity to manoeuvre through both air and water. And this Sunday, a seaplane designed and developed entirely in India will have its first trial run ever!

Father-son duo from Kochi, Shabel and Godson D’souza have built a six-seater aircraft that will soon take off from city’s backwaters.

While Godson has designed the plane, Shabel along with his employees worked hard for almost a month to erect the flying machine in their welding workshop in Ponnarimangalam near Bolgatty.

For representational purposes. Source: Pixabay.

“It took us 20 days to build this craft. Only 30 per cent of its body will touch water, and the remaining 70 per cent will be above water level,” Shabel told Times of India.

The seaplane is fitted with the engine of a Maruti Omni car and has a maximum speed of 100 km per hour. This comes as an advantage, for regular boats cannot operate at such an elevated speed in the backwaters.

Weighing close to a tonne, the plane is fully air-conditioned and has four-geared functionality. Also, airtight bows attached on the wings of the craft helps in maintaining the balance. But the seaplane wasn’t some random innovation. After a bout of trials, prototypes, and insight, did they create the final craft.

“As the first step, we built a prototype of a vessel using ACP sheet and conducted a trial run. We found that the vessel was weightless and it did not sink. This gave us the confidence to build a seaplane using ACP sheet, steel frames and fibre coating,” said Godson.

Promotion
Ad Banner

You may also like: Kochi Loves This Auto Driver – Who Has Been Filling Its Potholes for 16 Years!


Godson’s friend Neil Alex, who is a naval architect, also played a great role in assisting the duo throughout the process of building the plane.

They are now waiting for the completion of the trials, post success of which, they can approach Cochin Port Trust and Ports departments for permission to operate the seaplane in the backwaters.

However, they aren’t sure if they can pursue commercial operations with the seaplane. “We will not be able to take tourists on it. We can use it ourselves or sell it. We are continuing our efforts to obtain these sanctions for taking tourists,” added Shabel.

Featured Image Inset Source: Times of India.

Like this story? Or have something to share?
Write to us: contact@thebetterindia.com
Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!

Promotion
Ad Banner

Let’s be friends :)
Sign in to get free benefits
  • Get positive news daily on email
  • Join our community of positive ambassadors
  • Become a part of the positive movement
X