Buses are being burnt public offices vandalised, and in many parts of Punjab and Haryana, there are reports of clashes between the police and the supporters of the Sirsa-based Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim.
The man of the moment, however, is Jagdeep Singh, the judge who delivered the judgement convicting the ‘baba’ in a 15-year-old rape case, filed by two of his women followers.
In this day and age of information overload, it was pleasantly surprising to see that there is very little information about Jagdeep Singh, Presiding Officer, Special Judge, CBI Court.
It speaks volumes about the kind of man he is – low profile and non-publicity seeking.
Here are some things you must know about Judge Jagdeep Singh who has stood firm in the face of immense pressure and has upheld the rule of law.
1. Jagdeep Singh hails from Jind, one of the oldest districts of Haryana. He studied law at Punjab University and graduated in the year 2000. His fellow students remember him as a very dedicated and upright person.
2. He started his career in the Punjab and Haryana High Court as a litigator. He took up both civil and criminal matters.
3. In 2012 he joined the Haryana judicial services and his first posting was in Sonipat.
4. In 2016 he was posted to the CBI court. This type of posting usually comes about after much scrutiny. However, it is a testament to the man that he got it this early on in his career.
5. In 2016, he made headlines when he came to the rescue of four injured accident victims. He was travelling when he saw the injured people on the road. On calling for an ambulance, he was asked by the operator if he expected the ambulance to come to them flying. Without being irked at this, he took it upon himself to take them to the hospital.
He has always been a man whose actions speak louder than his words. It is people like this that keep our hope in a better India alive.
Like this story? Or have something to share?
Write to us: email@example.com
Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!